THE STUDENTS’ ASSOCIATION MEMBERSHIP
The Students’ Association of Arrupe College is established in accordance with the statutes and regulations of Arrupe College.
Aims and Objectives
- To provide for the representation of the students in matters that affect their interests, both as individuals and as a body, especially in respect of their academic studies
- To provide and develop intellectual, artistic, cultural, recreational, religious and social activities arising among its members, and to promote their general welfare.
- To provide, encourage and develop among its members the formation, organization and operation of clubs and societies and other groups
- To provide an effective channel of communication between the student body and the
- College authorities.
- To promote and maintain the co-operation of its members with students in other tertiary institutions
Membership of the Association is as follows:
- a) Ordinary Membership, which comprises:
- i) Registered full-time students of the College, for whom membership is automatic.
- ii) Registered part-time students of the College who choose to pay the full Association subscription.
- b) Associate Membership, which is open to:
- i) All full-time members of the College staff upon payment of the appropriate subscription.
- ii) Registered part- time students who elect not to become ordinary members, upon payment of the appropriate subscription.
The privileges of membership are as follows:
- a) Ordinary Members:
- i) To speak and vote at general meetings of the Association.
- ii) To nominate, stand and vote in Association elections.
iii) To use all recreational, social and other facilities of the Association.
- iv) To introduce guests to Association facilities, subject to conditions agreed between the Students’ Committee and the College authorities.
- b) Associate Members:
- i) To use all recreational, social and other facilities of the Association
- ii) To introduce guests to Association facilities, subject to conditions agreed between the Students” Committee and the College authorities.
General Meetings of the Association
- An ordinary General Meeting of the Association is held at least once in every College semester.
- A General Meeting is be convened by the President:
- Whenever s/he deems it necessary.
- The members of the association can ask the President to call a general meeting, according to the Association’s constitutions.
Students’ Council (SC)
There shall be the Students’ Council is composed of:
(a) The President
(b) The Vice-President
(c) The Secretary
(d) The Treasurer
(e) The Co-Chairperson of the Welfare and Charity Sub-Committee
(f) The Chairperson of the Cultural and Liturgical Sub-Committee
(g) The Chairperson of the Sports, Entertainment, and Recreation Sub-Committee.
Duties and Functions of the SC:
- The SC is responsible for the administration and conduct of the affairs of the Students’ Association and is responsible to the Students’ Association in General meetings for the proper discharge of its duties.
- The duties of the SC is to further the objects of the Association in general, and in particular:
- a) To decide on the policy of the Association on all internal and external affairs.
- b) To control, maintain and safeguard the property of the Association.
- c) To prepare, in consultation with the College Administration, and approve annual estimates of the Association’s income and expenditure and forward it for approval by the College’s Finance Committee.
- d) To prepare business for General Meetings of the Students’ Association.
Powers of the SC:
- The SC is granted powers by the Constitutions to decide on any matters within the powers delegated to it by a General Meeting of the Association.
- Some of the mandates given to the SC include:
- to frame by-laws and regulations
- to form standing Sub-Committees of the Association as for the conduct of the association’s business.
- to call General Meetings of the Association.
- to approve the formation of clubs and societies and to fund their activities, within the Association’s capacity.
Sub-Committees of the SC
The following are the Sub-Committees of the association:
- The Academic & Library Sub-Committee
- The Publications & Conferences Sub-Committee
- The Welfare & Charities Sub-Committee
- The Cultural & Liturgical Sub-Committee
- The Sports, Entertainment & Recreation Sub-Committee
- The Finance Sub-Committee.